Sunday, August 23, 2009

No First Amendment, Thank You and Other Valentines to the Bill of Rights.

I love the drive to Champaign-Urbana. It’s like a free speech sundae, broken up with several layers that ends with a real cherry on top; located on local interstates in-and-around Champaign County are these fantastic Burma Shave-like signs supporting the interests of gunssavelife.com. On these fantastic signs is a rhyming message to warn of the ways that not having a firearm on hand.

Here’s a visual for the kids:

These people make sense.

In honor of the new school year, I’d like to share my favorite gunsavelife.com verse that really says what I feel:

"Never worry / Thugs won't attack / If the teacher / Might shoot back."

I fully agree with this statement. As an educator of teenagers, I know the importance of self protection. You never know when a kid might throw an end table at your head or try to bite your boob. Hey, it happens. I would feel much better knowing that not only am I packing heat, but that I can in fact pistol-whip any child who dares to get out of line. One flash of my click and those kids will not only say “Yes Ms. Janelle,” but they’ll do it with respect. That’s something everyone can believe in.

I used to be one of those liberal nut jobs, you know those folks who think a little temperature change is going to kill the polar bears and ruin the planet. I used to throw away litter and buy locally grown produce, trying to decrease my impact on the environment. Pshh, Nonsense. What has the environment ever done for me? Hail damage.
I now understand that when the second amendment gives me the right to bear arms, it is not in fact giving me fashion advice to go sleeveless.

Deep special thought by Janelle Greenwood: Seriously, guns are no funny matter.
In 2006, incidents of gun murders, gun suicides, and unintentional shootings in Illinois killed 154 children and adolescents ages 19 and younger, a 18% increase from the 2005 total of 130 in this age group. Nationwide for 2006, gun violence killed 3,218 American children and teens ages 19 and under, an increase of 6.3% from the nationwide 2005 total of 3,027 this means that in the U.S. an average of 9 young people are killed each day by guns. Numbers obtained from CDC National Center for Health Statistics mortality report online, 2009
http://www.iansa.org/, http://www.bradycampaign.org/, http://ichv.org/Statistics.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment